> Nah... 90% of the work is *proving* that it works and writing the
> sigrok driver. At that point, the floodgates will open and it will be
> cloned since others already did the legwork for the Chinese vendors.
> They have software to ship with their hardware, the firmware is
> available, the hardware is easy to clone and there's huge demand.
> It would be a complete heyday.

The difference between salease and sigrok + fx2 is exactly this — one
is polished but lacks features, another isn't that stable but has more
functionality. And I'm sure saleae people spent a lot of time chasing
dozens of small bugs that only occur on some computers in some edge
cases. Fixing these bugs actually makes hardware and software a good
choice for people choosing a product. That was my point.

Writing a quality driver is still harder than writing one that sort
of works. Also, I find it hard to rely on a prediction that floodgates
will actually open. Maybe it's worth trying to collaborate with
Chinese vendors directly.