"PlusNET: Subs" <s...@qcontinuum.plus.com> wrote:

> f) for the review stage, anyone can go to the relevant Sigrok
> repository* and review the submissions

This is one of the items Gerhard raised as being an issue that
the community should be helping with, and that (IMO obviously)
not everyone else is/was aware of, but it's not that simple.

Yes, _anyone_ can do a review, but from experience, in this and
other projects, the _only_ thing a "community" reviewer can grant
is a negative. (This doesn't even work, it breaks on my machine,
etc) A _positive_ community review is worthless. It won't get
anything merged, and it won't help get anything merged. Because
of this, there's _very low_ motivation for community review
outside of patches that explicitly affect the individual. This in
turn leads to very few community reviews, which lead to core
people being grumpy that the community isn't "doing their part to
lighten the load" and it's a downward spiral....

> This gives rise to a number of questions/requests for
> clarification:
>
> 2. What are the thresholds to get
> the code accepted? Number of comments? Sufficient time elapsed
> for reviewers to comment? All issues that have been commented
> have been addressed? All of the preceding?
That's it. At the end of the day, it simply doesn't matter how
"involved" the community is, how many reviews they do, it's still
100% in the hands of the people with commit access. And
regardless of policy, as you can see, it's largely arbitrary.
Which yes, spares the sanity of the committers, but at the cost
of the sanity of the "community"

Solutions? None. Committers must be allowed to be busy and ignore
things.

Perhaps, just perhaps, a committer promise of "we'll look at this
once there's been a community review" could be a start, but
that's a big promise and a lot of faith on all sides...

Sincerely,
Karl Palsson