one needs to recall that a doctor does not have to suffer from
a brain tumor or bleeding piles to treat those conditions

Marc Bloch: a historian needs thicker boots and thinner notebooks

(boots alluding to actual field visit. encouraging the historian to move
away from his/her usual haunt in the archive)