On 2/9/07, Abhishek Hazra <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>one needs to recall that a doctor does not have to suffer from
a brain tumor or bleeding piles to treat those conditions

Marc Bloch: a historian needs thicker boots and thinner notebooks

I've not yet read the book Shiv, I've only skimmed through the first
few pages. It could do with editing to pare the repetitive narrative.
I haven't as yet any comments on the subject matter of the book.

Meanwhile, no offense to you Shiv, but reading the references to thick
boots I was reminded of the Sanskrit parable of the "Kupa Manduka".

Kupa is a Well, manduka is a frog. This is the story of a frog, which
lives in a well. Never been outside that well as you would imagine,
not easy for a frog to leave the well and all it had seen is that
inside of the well. The world view is confined to the inside of the
well. He is very suspicious of anything from outside.

I'm not sure if it applies here...

Cheeni