On Sunday 09 Sep 2007 1:49 pm, ashok _ wrote:

> You are a brave man indeed. You must have utmost faith in the
> competence of the police to handle such information.

In fact there is an element of irony in the complaint that cyber-cafes are
going to come under big brothers eye. A significant proportion of people
doing the complaining either do not use cyber cafes or will stop using them
henceforth and shift to what they consider more private. Whose freedom is
being protected then?

That is the point. If you want to use a public cyber cafe for private work,
you are doing so at your own risk.  Does big brother have to ram this
information down throats by announcing spying for people to understand that?

All the personal security measures that I mentioned cannot apply anyway in
cybercafes. Personal security does not exist in cybercafes with or without
government snooping.  So why the angst? Anybody could snoop, even without
telling you and if you are naive enough to believe that security exists in
cybercafes - then its a good job the government is warning you that you are
mistaken.

Let us assume that I feel an element of jealousy that the government gives
itself the power to snoop in cybercafes but does not extend the same freedom
to me. That, I worry about and would sue the government if I felt strongly
about it.

But in a public area, gawking and snooping are par for the course. Who does it
is moot. Why should it bother anyone that entity X is snooping rather than
entity Y? The competence of any of these snoopers is totally beside the point
if you wantonly expose your private work in a public place.

shiv