> Udhay can you educate me on how voting with your feet or taking them to a
> court in India can help if a Credit Card company employee spends Rs
> 100,000
> on your credit card account and you get a bill 3 weeks later?

Shiv, since I wrote that piece, permit me to do to answer this question. The
answer lies in incentives: all the incentives for a credit card company are
aligned towards putting in place safeguards that do not allow its employees
access to sensitive data, and to make it too risky for those with access to
trade it. It is a different matter in government, where employees
effectively have tenure.

Trusting a bank and a credit card company means that you automatically trust
back-up system of law enforcement and justice that the bank promises you.
Why
then turn around and say that you do not trust that system of law
enforcement
and justice?

Actually, I don't have much faith in the rule of law in India, though it is
more likely to act against a private party than itself. But do you know what
I believe in? Competition. Every credit card company knows that an incident
where it is found to have compromised sensitive data will lead to terrible
publicity, and will affect it in the marketplace. That is far more likely to
keep than honest than fear of the cops.

But the irony that causes me the greatest degree of amusement is that the
> writer of the blog would probably never use a cybercafe to reveal his bank
> and credit card details. He lives in a real world in which he realises
> that
> this would be stupid.

Well, I have done this when I have travelled outside Mumbai and needed to
book an airline ticket urgently and take a printout from a cyber cafe. I
claim guilty to 'stupid'. Are you saying that the law should not protect
stupid people?

I would elaborate more, but have a flight to catch in an hour, and will
spend the next two weeks in a city where I will be forced to use a cyber
cafe. Ah well! :)