On Mon, 2007-09-10 at 06:40 +0530, shiv sastry wrote:
> I believe there is a social lesson here. Educated, well paid, computer savvy
> individuals are generally seen as honest and upright.

education has little to do with it. well paid people are less likely to
be tempted by the same absolute amounts than poorly paid people (they
may be tempted by large amounts, of course). this is one reason why in
the private sector, people exposed to more temptations of dishonesty
tend to get paid more, and why some governments (like singapore) have an
explicit policy of paying state employees a lot of money so that they
will be less likely to take bribes.

of course, most credit card fraud is a result of people in the credit
card information chain who are probably better paid than mumbai
policemen. but they don't have the power to arrest you, or threaten you
with arrest.

-rishab