On Saturday 13 Oct 2007 11:19 pm, Deepa Mohan wrote:
> But why
> does that make the bicycle a bad idea?

It's the physical danger. I did not do mountaineering because I was too
scared. I do not do any cycling in Bangalore because mountaineering is
looking more attractive.

I personally do not think well meaning individuals taking up bicycles is going
to change the appetite of Indians for cars. Those hungry Indians are going to
hurt me on my bicycle and are not going to make it easier for me to keep
breathing.

By a quirk of fate I come from a family that has owned a car from long before
I was born - i.e 1920s. - which is unusual in India.  The "wisdom" that makes
one understand that cars are a problem comes easily when one has "been there,
done that". Tens of milions of Indians who can now afford a car are asking
why they should be urged to give up cars when they have lived lives hearing
about how America is so advanced and how everyone has a car. Stopping or
discouraging car ownership goes beyond environmental sense and is like "dark
forces stopping or delaying development, happiness and efficiency"

Teaching Indians the environmental lessons that have been learned by the act
of raping the environment in the West is not going to be easy - especially
when an aware Indian realises that as an individual his environmental
footprint is miniscule compared to all the countries he has been taught to
admire and emulate. The fact that his compatriots add up to a lot matters
little to him. He  is not going to stand for being asked to suffer for
someone else's idiocy. And the oh-so concerned world is not going to stop
manufacturing cars is it?

India is probably the only country in the world where people put up with a
situation in which your average car has a 1000 cc (or smaller) engine
capacity and the biggest petrol engines you can get rarely exceed 2500 cc.
The fact is that you can have people transport with engine capacities of less
than 1000 cc and India is sure to go further down that route. The average
Indian car will have an environmental footprint that is smaller than those in
other countries and this is going to make the average Indian car buyer, car
maker and planner very difficult to lecture to, short of economic measures
(sanctions) with their accompanying political overtones.

shiv