On 10/12/07, Srini Ramakrishnan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/10/12/business/12cars.php
>
> In India, a $2,500 pace car

Given that the ~1 lakh car is going to be inevitable, I think it is a
more interesting armchair exercise to speculate on how it could
positively change things. Here is what I think will happen:

1. more cars and fewer motorcycles/scooters/cycles means more
homogeneity in road traffic.  I feel that's a good thing. Cars are
less maneuverable than two wheelers, which is a good thing to keep
things organized - as can be seen in cars sticking to "Lines". It also
makes it possible to implement a sane, practical and tight lane system
in many places

2. With the suddenly increased awareness about air pollution, perhaps
the attention will shift to poor emission control of vehicles in
circulation, and perhaps less polluting (or 'centrally polluting')
alternatives, first for public transport vehicles like buses and
autos, and then to cars and two wheelers

3. Traffic congestion will worsen to an extent where a case will
eventually be made for efficient subway transport in big cities.

All of those could (rather hopefully will) happen in the next 10-20
years in the 6 metros.