ss wrote, [on 5/3/2008 10:23 AM]:

Of course they do. That was my intention. Yet another example of irony
over ASCII being a lossy protocol.

Sorry. I don't understand the point of this exchange.

OK. Per the below quoted message, you made a claim that there is a trend of Chinese learning Hindi, and a further claim that there is no such trend in the opposite direction (i.e, Indians learning Hakka or Mandarin or whatever). You gave an example of "Someone wrote about it in the press recently - a Chinese immigration officer welcoming a tourist in Hindi" in order to support the first claim.

I was attempting to point out that a single hearsay example doesn't constitute evidence of a trend. Looks like the means I chose to do so (i.e, "Look! I can give single examples as well. So?") didn't travel very well. And like a joke that has to be explained, looks rather flat now.

Udhay