On Sat, May 3, 2008 at 6:52 PM, ss <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Saturday 03 May 2008 6:29:27 pm Rishab Ghosh wrote:
[...}
>  On Saturday 03 May 2008 6:28:03 pm ashok _ wrote:
>  > It could probably be more because of China being a communist state rather
>  > than general linguistic curiosity.
>
>  I can't disagree with the notion that "an autocracy channeled properly" forms
>  a large part of the explanation.

At the risk of souding paranoid, the radio stations in Indian
languages were started August 1963, about a year after the Sino-India
war at Ladakh and Nathu-la (1962). It sounds like a propaganda plank
and psy-war strategy to me.

Flying the contest winners to China every month just seems like a very
convenient way to test out potential China sympathizers and recruit
sleeper cells.

Cheeni