On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 9:53 PM, ss <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Sunday 23 Nov 2008 9:30:44 pm Srini Ramakrishnan wrote:
> > Perhaps not, but at least there isn't a persecution of the intellectual as
> > currently happens in India. I of course simply state the symptom, the cause
> > could be as you point out reservation.

[...]

> I do not think there is less intelligence in India, but what India is losing

All intellectuals are intelligent (to some degree), but not all
intelligent people need be intellectuals. It's a standard definition,
and I agree there's no shortage of intelligent people in India. A
point I've made before too -
http://www.mail-archive.com/silklist@lists.hserus.net/msg12836.html

Perhaps I should term it morality drain, or educated-brains drain or
civilization drain or something like that. One of the fundamental
benefits of education is to realize that you can live without being at
each others throats. An education in morals doesn't need to happen at
school, in fact for most it happens in their homes.   I don't know if
there is good and bad, right and wrong, moral and immoral, I certainly
can't prove it, but I do know that life is immensely easier when
everyone is nice to each other, else it is the tragedy of the commons.

> by targeting the forward castes - especially Brahmins is the deep sense of
> duty, integrity (incorruptibility) and immunity to temptation of material
> (financial) recompense that Brahminism inculcates.

I certainly witness an increase in boorishness, intellectual
dishonesty, lack of integrity, myopic morality and most other behavior
that would indicate the decline of a civilization. I don't know the
reasons for this, but it is happening and very rapidly at that. It
saddens me that this happens because I know that this wasn't always
the case. Having seen the decline of a civilization in Pakistan I fear
that India is only a few years behind. What a tragedy that would be.

> What we are getting is an arrogant, grabbing Hindu. No less intelligent
> maybe - and India's predicted great power status will be achieved by these
> people. Brahminism's virtues were never designed for leading a nation into
> those areas.

I think China has had a head start on the arrogant grabbing bit. I've
feared for a while the civilization that the liberated China has been
creating and now India goes the same way. It is true that in both
cases a large heretofore mute deprived population has found utterance,
perhaps this is for the best? Or perhaps materialism is like the fire
water that destroyed the (other) Indians.

Cheeni