On 5/17/09 11:19 PM, "Mahesh Murthy" <mahesh.mur...@gmail.com> wrote:

> AFAIK, Singapore is NOT a Muslim nation. Perhaps you meant Malaysia.
>
> It is in Malaysia that Muslims can't marry non-Muslims. My cousin, a
> Malaysian Tamilian had to move to Singapore with his Malay Muslim girlfriend
> to marry her - where it's perfectly legal.
>
> Singapore follows Chinese, Western, Tamil and Muslim festivals.

This is not true anymore. I got married in Singapore, and I distinctly
remember there is a separate Muslim Registrar of Marriages for muslims. Here
is the FAQ from Registrar of Marriages:
http://app.customerfeedback.mcys.gov.sg/romm_faqmain.asp?strFaqSysid=2004119
14231&strItemChoice=2004119134037&strSubItemChoice=20041214145255&action=SHO
WTOPICS&m_strTopicSysID=20041214145548#200411914231

Your cousin might have gotten married before the Women's charter came into
effect. I do know singapore follows all festivals, but it gives a lot of
freedom to practice your religion which goes above and beyond what any other
non-islamic country provides to muslims.

- divya

--
I blog at http://nimbupani.com/blog