You can ask my wife Priya for a certificate. She thinks Lavanya's reformed you
considerably.

-----Original Message-----
From: silklist-bounces+suresh=hserus....@lists.hserus.net
[mailto:silklist-bounces+suresh=hserus....@lists.hserus.net] On Behalf Of Udhay
Shankar N
Sent: Wednesday, 26 August 2009 9:39 AM
To: silklist@lists.hserus.net
Subject: Re: [silk] "Function" [was Chennai Silk Meet on the 29th?]

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 8:54 AM, Ramakrishnan
Sundaram<r.sunda...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> as that evening is one of the functions I'm
>> coming into town for.
>
> I'm fascinated by this usage; I've only seen it in Indian English.

>From [1]:

<q>
4 : an official or formal ceremony or social gathering
</q>

> Any ideas on how "function" came to mean "event"?
>
> It may be "a function" as in "a do".

Yes, that seems quite clear from the etymology at the link below.

<q>
Etymology: Latin function-, functio performance, from fungi to
perform; probably akin to Sanskrit bhuṅkte he enjoys
Date: 1533
</q>

To Suresh: given that it is a wedding reception, elai sapadu is
certainly not out of the question. Also, would you come and vouch for
me as a 'Traditional Iyer maama'?

Udhay

[1] http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/function