On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 6:10 AM, Deepak Shenoy <deepakshe...@gmail.com> wrote:
[snip - too many topics to quote]

In order to focus on things that most urgently need correction, I am
going to limit my answer to your following claims. Please cite data to
make your case in case you reply:

a) NREGS is not helping and is leading to inflation: FALSE
b) Farmer suicides are not important, Sainath hypes it up, other
suicides are more important: FALSE
c) Real wage decreases are always going to happen for some, this 25%
is that: FALSE

a) NREGS is not helping and is leading to inflation: FALSE

a) NREGS is at the outer end a spend of $2.7 billion annually
(assuming everyone was paid $2 per day) - on India's annual GDP of
$1.8 trillion is < 0.15% and this causes inflation how? It's not clear
to me how a farmer with a hundred rupees in his pocket will add to
inflation, but Ambani's billion dollar mansion won't.

Source: http://d.pr/xHjL - columns 12 x column 3 (via http://nrega.nic.in/)

NREGA is not a failure, in fact it's one of the best things to happen
to India of late:

"Once dismissed as a reckless fiscal sop, the scheme is now lauded as
a timely fiscal stimulus." - Economist, Nov 2009

The Economist is as conservative an establishment source as you can
get, and even from the money supply point of view the economists then
agreed that NREGS is a good thing. Now it's another thing that
Economists of one season cannot agree with the economists of the next.

{
NREGA: Rural India sees a silent revolution
Farm Truths | Himanshu
http://www.livemint.com/2008/08/25233800/NREGA-Rural-India-sees-a-sile.html
}

{
>From a Naxal bastion, an NREGA success story
Vivek Deshpande : ETAPALLI (GADCHIROLI), Tue Feb 02 2010, 03:31 hrs
http://www.indianexpress.com/news/from-a-naxal-bastion-an-nrega-success-story/574384/0
}

{
Jobs, Jobs, Jobs: The Success of NREGA
http://sepiamutiny.com/blog/2010/06/29/jobs_jobs_jobs/
}

b) Farmer suicides are not important, Sainath hypes it up, other
suicides are more important: FALSE

If bankers and stock brokers were jumping out of their tall office
buildings in Mumbai, I wonder if you will still make the case that as
a fraction of annual national suicides they are statistically
insignificant and therefore don't need to be paid attention to.

I can quote sources aplenty to attest to the fact that it isn't merely
Sainath who talks about farm suicides:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farmers'_suicides_in_India in its
references section has a good collection to begin with.

Watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Av6dx9yNiCA (<5 mins)

These are preventable deaths - rather easily in fact. Stop the
companies that deceive farmers, create alternative sources of
employment in the villages and allow farmers to defer debt repayments
in case of dire economic peril.

Suicide rates in India are on the rise - up by 2-3% points just in the
last decade. If you think other suicides are more important please
make your case about preventing thoose deaths citing data - however
that still doesn't diminish the importance of tragic economic
performance in certain industries that are leading to direct deaths.

c) Real wage decreases are always going to happen, this 25% is that: FALSE

In your earlier email you said "Real wages aren't falling in India at
all, no matter how you look?"

I've pointed out reports that indicate that's wrong, there's 25% at
least of the economy that is doing badly.

You claim this is going to happen always.

Not true - this is not a case of some poor performers in the lowest
quartile. You make it sound as if it is the lazy and the ineffective
who are making less money - it isn't.

The fall in wages is happening in certain well defined sectors - rural
industries and farming to be precise. This is a failure of the State,
it's economic policies and not of the individuals.

You are attempting to ignore realities by using sweeping
generalizations. Please cite facts to make your case.

I'm sorry to be so direct - but please show me facts.

Thanks,
Cheeni