On Sun, 2014-02-23 at 13:21 +0530, gabin kattukaran wrote:
> I'm trying to get my head around that as well. I suspect that it is
> only a matter of perspective but standing on my head is not helping
> (as yet.)

LOL. Might be easier if you lived in Australia. Or Argentina maybe.

I am reaching the end of my own knowledge of maths and physics -
subjects that I did study (again and again) till a few years ago as long
as it was necessary to help my children with schoolwork - and even those
times are receding fast.

I vaguely, very vaguely, recall some facts that I read in my son's
physics (or was it maths) textbook about 5 years ago. It was this
business of units and these little absurd details like how "liters per
100 km actually ends up being a unit of area. The figure is an area,
mathematically simply because it is length^3/length. But the relevant
answer is not an area, it is a volume.

If a car needs 6 liters for 100 km, it could be expressed as a unit of
area in which case it would be 0.00000006 square meters. Someone correct
me if that figure is wrong because the calculation is as follows

1 liter = 0.1 ^ 3 = 0.001 cubic meters
6 liters = 0.006 cubic meters
100 km = 100,000 meters

0.006/100,000 = 0.00000006 square meters.

I wonder if that is the cross sectional area of a molecule of petrol - a
worthless piece of information. Seems too big actually.  A column of
petrol 0.00000006 sq meters in area but 100 km long would be several
thousand molecules thick - because that translates to 0.06 square
millimeters - a huge area. Something is seriously wrong - either my
calculation, or the real world significance of the figure

In actual fact the unit that is useful is only the numerator - i.e 6
liters, not the result of the calculation.

shiv