Indeed, with two grandchildren, 5 and 1.5 years (girl and boy,
respectively), I can say that grandparenthood is one of the great joys of
my life. But having them live halfway across the world means having to go
and visit them, and having an experience like this:

http://deponti.livejournal.com/1088820.html

And yet it is worth it. But I dare not give them sugar or drums....I have
been the primary caregiver while the parents go to work, when each child
was born!

Deepa.