On 08-Feb-2016, at 5:33 PM, Badri Natarajan <li...@badri.net> wrote:

>>> On the OCI/PIO thing that’s quite interesting because my wife is actually a
>>> PIO holder who is not of Indian origin, in a similar position to your
>>> friends. The OCI/PIO merger is a mess - from what we can tell (lots of
>>> contradictory information), they HAVE merged OCI and PIO statuses together,
>>> so that all PIO cards are now treated as OCI cards and PIO basically
>>> doesn’t exist anymore. But there’s also a lot of contradictory information
>>> saying that it is preferable to get an “official” conversion to OCI just in
>>> case..it’s on our list of things for my wife to do. It can’t hurt, is my
>>> view.
>>>
>>> And yes Harry - OCI, despite the name, is roughly the Indian equivalent of
>>> having a US green card and grants (broadly similar) rights and
>>> restrictions. It is NOT citizenship or nationality and does not entitle the
>>> holder to a passport.
>>

>> Babdri, after the merger of PIO/OCI, the Govt has been issuing replacement
>> OCI cards. Always best to switch to the OCI card instead of the PIO. Hope
>> Annie's got hers.
>>

> Yup, this is what we are planning to do but haven’t done it yet. Need to
> prioritise although some information suggests that PIO cards will now
> automatically be treated as OCI cards (without actually having to switch).
> But it’s much safer to switch and avoid confusion..

Yes. Because they do issue a new OCI card in exchange. The only reason I insist
on OCI over PIO is because OCI is a legislative creation - thus a lot less
amenable to bureaucratic whimsy. As opposed to PIO which I believe is through
executive fiat - which is the Alice in Wonderland of bureaucratic whimsy.

Regards,

Nikhil Mehra
Advocate
B.A., LL.B. (Hons.) (NLSIU), LL.M (Northwestern)

Chambers of Nikhil Mehra
E-348 Ground Floor | Greater Kailash - II | New Delhi 110048
+91 98107 76904
nikhil.mehra...@gmail.com