On 08-Feb-2016, at 10:37 PM, harry <listmans...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 8 February 2016 at 14:55, Badri Natarajan <li...@badri.net> wrote:
>

>>> On 8 Feb 2016, at 11:46, Nikhil Mehra <nikhil.mehra...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>

>> Absolutely agree with Nikhil. The bureaucracy have no incentive to help
>> your friend. Unless you have Minister level connections to go over their
>> heads, your friends are simply wasting time (and if they waste too much
>> time and go to Court, the Government will try telling the Court that they
>> waited too long, although I doubt you’re at that point yet).
>>
>> I can understand why this is happening..it’s very seductive to think that
>> “something will happen” if they keep talking to bureaucrats - it feels like
>> taking action because so much effort is going into it, and it feels like
>> court will be an unnecessary escalation. But you have two lawyers telling
>> you now that your friends’ best bet is to file a case.
>>
>> This is one of the circumstances where the Indian legal system actually
>> works (more or less) as it is supposed to (as opposed to, say, trying to
>> recover a commercial debt).
>>

> Thanks, see what you mean by "something will happen" syndrome.
>
> Any idea how long such cases take from filing to judgement ?... i always
> hear about cases taking years if not months to come up for a hearing.
>
> Oddly the problem seems to have arisen from a hotel in a small town. This
> lady was staying in the hotel for a few days, had to submit copies of ID
> documents at the desk, and gave the PIO and PAN documents (which the hotel
> apparently has to send to local police chowki ? ) The police didn't
> understand this PIO document and came to the hotel couple of days later to
> "inquire" about her ... found she was a foreigner... and asked for more
> details about her, who she was etc took copy of passport. Thats the only
> brush with police she has had. And this "visa violation" warning that I
> found via immigration source has come from the same regional immigration
> circle office where this town is located. Clearly ignorance of local police
> authorities is something to be wary of ?

Harry, given how egregious this case appears to be, i.e., (i) no reason for the
activities of the deportee to be flagged under any existing law (ii)
refoulement obligations on account of her family in India (iii) past record of
living in, and traveling to and from, India, I think this could be the sort of
case where relief may be forthcoming in a matter of weeks. The whole thing
could be over in a few months - win or lose.

Egards,

Nikhil Mehra
Advocate
B.A., LL.B. (Hons.) (NLSIU), LL.M (Northwestern)

Chambers of Nikhil Mehra
E-348 Ground Floor | Greater Kailash - II | New Delhi 110048
+91 98107 76904
nikhil.mehra...@gmail.com