My bet is that any IP the company derives by making use of client data – even
for testing purposes – will very likely meet with a successful claim from the
customer’s IP / copyright attorneys.

Operational metrics are what the approval extends to.  NOT new product
development based on those metrics.

I think you’ll find a standard clause in most such contracts which state that
any tools, scripts or similar that the vendor develops for work / processing of
the customer data have IP assigned to the customer.

Gaining control of ALL the deliverables of any such outsourcing assignment is
generally standard best practice in the industry.

I am sure we have enough corporate / IP attorneys here who can comment.  Every
other silk member seems to be an NLS alumnus or friends with one. ☺

--srs

On 19/10/16, 5:04 PM, "silklist on behalf of Bhaskar Dasgupta"
<silklist-bounces+suresh=hserus....@lists.hserus.net on behalf of
bdasgu...@gmail.com> wrote:

    The data belongs to the customer but the supplier has approval to use that
data. For operational metrics.

    What I suggested was to make that into a product instead of just a stupid
sla operational report.

    Jai ho