On Tue, Nov 29, 2016 at 1:56 PM Udhay Shankar N <ud...@pobox.com> wrote:

> I saw a post by Ramit Sethi [1] that got me thinking.
>
> What, to you, are the things that are worth the extra that you might pay?
>
> My incomplete list:
>
> Shoes, computers, fragrance.

Computers and fragrance, I completely agree. Shoes? Maybe I'm not using
them right. I tend to wear sneakers and a pair of Keens or Merrells don't
cost much ($70-100) and last years.

Here is my incomplete list:

1. Tripods + head: I spent more on a carbon fiber tripod and head
<http://bythom.com/support.htm> than many people spend on a DSLR camera.
Worth every penny if you are into landscape photography.

2. Knives: I bought a set of 3 Global knives
<https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KKUYCY/> (and a sharpening tool) and
love using them. So thoughtfully designed. And a pleasure to chop with.

3. Kindle e-paper reader: Still love my Kindle touch ~5 years after I
bought it.

BTW, here are similar threads from metafilter that I found helpful:

http://ask.metafilter.com/281088/Worth-every-cent
http://ask.metafilter.com/242052/What-luxury-goods-are-worth-the-extra-cost

[1]
> http://www.iwillteachyoutoberich.com/blog/5-things-that-are-worth-the-money

I disagree with many things on this list. Phones, for example. An average
smartphone's life span is ~2 years. It is simply not worth spending $1000
on a phone that lasts 2 years. Similarly, I strongly disagree with pre-cut
vegetables. IMO, pre-cut vegetables lose their flavor (and essential oils).

Thaths