My partner Debbie and I have 30kg of stuff. Each. That's it. (Ok, right
this minute we're actually living in a house! With housemates! So we've
bought a few more "things" that we will leave behind when we leave, but the
general rule remains.)

So every single thing we own must satisfy one or both of the criteria:

   1. It's beautiful
   2. You love it

When you only own one of a thing, or you can only have one of the ten
things you think you want the cost becomes less important and the beauty
and lasting love for it becomes much more significant. For the last ten
years I've carried around a ten-inch chef's knife that I love, but I think
it's time to leave it behind. I can't imagine buying pre-cut vegetables -
the joy I get from picking out the perfect eggplant, cutting it just so
with the perfect tool, and cooking it just the way I like it versus saving
a few minutes in preparing food is just not worth it to me.

Oh - I bought a new 13" MacBook Pro. :)

-- Charles