On Mon, 25 Sep 2017 at 02:22 Tomasz Rola <rto...@ceti.pl> wrote:

> Q1. I am becoming addicted to abusing Emacs (editor, but also host to
> Elisp scripting language, which I am using to write more sophisticated
> versions of some crude makeshift sh scripts from the past), but I have
> read somewhere that MacOS port was not very good. Any comments on
> this from Emacs users (if there are any)?

I have been using the railwaycat port[1] from homebrew for a few years now.
If you have been using released Emacs, you should be fine.

Q2. On every screenshot showing MacOS desktop, there is menubar at the top
> and icondock on the bottom. I do not like this. I have 20+'' of
> display and I want all of this for myself. Is it possible to get rid
> of menubar and dock, hopefully permamently, without loss of
> functionality? No autohiding - I have tried this with Windows, KDE and
> GNOME and it always ended with my mouse pointer coming too close to
> the edge, triggering "autoshow", quaking windows and fussing with my
> eyes.

Not that I am aware of.

> Q2b. Is it possible to run alternative windows manager on MacOS - say,
> Ratpoison or FVWM (preferably the latter, as I am slowly leaning to
> the idea of writing my own modules for it)?

The only thing I've tried is amethyst[2] but it does feel very hacky in
comparison to the built-in window manager.

> Q3. I am moderate user of virtual desktops, right now set up in 4x4
> pattern, but there are days when I seriously consider going to 5x5 -
> and right now I think heavy use starts somewhere around 8x8, maybe
> 9x9. Also, after I (lamps in my brain) warm up I have about 60 windows
> opened (all right, I have more, but 60 is a nice number while 50 is
> too "made up"). Works very good, not problem with refreshing, no
> crashes, excellent responsibility even with heavy computation (say, 3
> out of 4 cores busy full time and fourth at 40%) going on in a
> background - but no swapping, as this would have killed performace, I
> have enough RAM for buffers and ramdisk (yes really). I wonder how
> would that be under MacOS - I mean, virtual desktops, ram disk, lots
> of windows?

Haha. I remember thinking about the same thing when I first started using
macOS. These are not things that are trivially[3] fixable. If you have an
issue with performance, consider upgrading the processor or RAM.

Having said all this there was a time when the MBP was the finest laptop to
be had at its price point, I don't think the newer models are in the same
league. There are other options now.

Footnotes:
[1] https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EmacsForMacOS#toc14
[2] https://github.com/ianyh/Amethyst
[3] I use trivial fix in the sense that a google search and some fiddling
results in a more or less permanent solution
--
Alok