On Feb 21, 2018 9:17 AM, <silkl...@bobf.frankston.com> wrote:

https://www.facebook.com/lynn.wheeler/posts/10214578899241825

(which points to http://www.atimes.com/indias-war-science/)

Please join the discussion and add comments if you know more about this?

I don't use Facebook, I'm even hesitant to click on links that point to it,
so my comments here.

--

Left or Right wing politics, or any idea for that matter, can be sold
scientifically, if one so desires and possesses the necessary intelligence

If people want to feel good about their evening drink sooner or later there
will be two studies published everyday in leading journals arguing the
benefits of alcohol. Times of India never fails to tell me about both of
them.

Paying respect to science is good form, but doesn't always mean it's an
indication of quality. Neither is questioning science inherently a bad
idea. Unfortunately, most see it as some kind of tribal identity - the
world is more complex than a binary state.

Like tobacco, beef can be taxed heavily with a very "secular" argument for
it - Scandinavian countries are already proposing such a beef tax (links
below).

It's a pity that the Bjp's preference is for lynch mobs and mad rhetoric,
but again there's a lot of internal logic to it. Mob violence sends a
louder message in politics than a hundred press releases.

I see stupidity/intelligence and violence/calm as being equally present
across the entire political spectrum - in the long run.

It's clear the BJP, being relatively new to power, lacks savvy political
and PR advisors like the fictional Sir Humphrey Appleby who can teach them
to have their cake and eat it too. It's also true that they relish
authoritarian displays that boldly announce that a new sheriff is in town.

Congress is a party that has ruled India for decades, and in its last days
had developed a gentle, even lazy "benevolent dictator" quality about it.
The BJP, is not an old hand at power, and so it is eager to cement the
status quo and make its mark - hence the bloody politics. Lest we forget,
during the insecure days of Indira's India there was a lot of bloodshed and
nonsense too.

There's a Goldilocks period where the political leadership is neither
insecure nor complacent, neither too young, nor senile, but golden ages are
fated to be stuck in between the two extremes of being too hot and too
cold.

The article by Shashi Tharoor, as far as I can tell, is just a rhetorical
club he's chosen to beat his political opponent with. He's not impartially
examined all the facts available to him, instead, like a good debater, or
politician, he has sketched a convenient narrative.

The electric car policy, the phenomenal growth in renewable energy all
point to a real fear of global warming. It's hard to feel otherwise sitting
in smog cooked Delhi.

When the Mughals invaded India they were nothing more than savages on
horseback, unlettered and unrefined. A mere hundred years later they were
building the Taj Mahal during their Goldilocks period.

Insecurity and stupidity often look alike. It's a season of madness, but
that's just politics.

India and the world is only as mad or sane as it ever was.

---
Secular case for taxing or banning beef:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/mar/21/eat-
less-meat-vegetarianism-dangerous-global-warming

"Adhering to health guidelines on meat consumption could cut global
food-related emissions by nearly a third by 2050, the study found, while
widespread adoption of a vegetarian diet would bring down emissions by 63%."

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/dec/11/meat-
tax-inevitable-to-beat-climate-and-health-crises-says-report