Charles Haynes wrote on 8/22/18 2:00 AM August 22, 2018:
Pearl has been spruiking his causality formalisms for years, but they don't
seem to have caught on despite widespread dissemiy of the ideas. I've read
them and my reaction was "hm, interesting" rather than "oh! I see how this
could be useful"

Anyone else have opinions on why his ideas haven't caught on more generally?

It's too hard to make computers think that way? Much easier to show them what you want and have them select a series of linear transformations that make it so. This is not how humans think, but, hey, you can model almost anything that way, so why not do it if you can throw the data and the cycles at it?

Humans seem to do a lot more reasoning by association than causal thinking. We also reason by analogy, which no one seems interested in teaching machines to do. A lot of our thinking is tangled up with our perceptual systems, which works well for us but would require millions of years of evolution to replicate in machines.

Humans arguably aren't reasoning machines, and there's a lot more to thinking than the ability to construct proofs. Our ability to construct story might be more fundamental than our ability to probe causality.

--hmm

-- Charles

On Wed., 22 Aug. 2018, 5:28 am Bharat Shetty, <bharat.she...@gmail.com>