Thanks Kiran. I think that's a really great way to put things. I've been
thinking about this in multiple contexts, especially when scientific
research and findings are reported in mass media. It's quite easy for
people to "debunk" claims when they haven't understood them in the first
place and that's why I guess it's really important to understand how the
scientific method works.

Although the scientific world has made the world comprehendable, I do feel
a section of the populace have replaced priests in their lives with
scientists. That instead of understanding the method and the principles
behind a finding, they rely on the authority of the person or the prestige
of the institution carrying out the research.