On Sat, Feb 2, 2019 at 10:36 PM Srini RamaKrishnan <che...@gmail.com> wrote:

Similarly there are kids who get polio solely because of the vaccine,
> Vaccine-derived
> polioviruses (VDPVs). No one disputes this, but now it becomes a
> philosophical question whether even one victim is one too many. Guess which
> side the drug companies are on?

Any risk analysis needs to start with the question "what is the threat
model?". Similarly, any solution design needs to start with "Don't make
things worse" (the Hippocratic principle can be viewed as a special case of
this).

In the above context, the threat model is not "one victim", but "potential
pandemic".

Without going into attenuated vs. killed vaccines, I agree that kids
getting polio from vaccines is a bad thing. It is a special case of "kids
getting polio" which the vaccine is an attempt to fight against. Can that
be improved? Sure. I believe you are sincere in dismissing it. I just don't
happen to agree.

Udhay