"Patents" have become more about protection by intimidation than any thing else...and a basis for a brag. I think you'll find several on the same basic silver/aluminum idea, none of which will hold up to scrutiny or challenge, with the original idea being decades old, out of renewal date limits and in the public domain, if it was ever patented at all.

The discoverer of Penicillin purposefully DIDN'T patent that discovery with the INTENTION of it being in the public domain. If that did what was intended, then anything you see before a patent is filed, makes a patent filed on it worthless in every respect except for the purposes of intimidation or making a brag. Actually getting the patent approved is merely a reflection of the degree of ignorance of the office workers that approve it, or a lawyers ability to confuse them into thinking it's new.

Hit the online patent office and read a few. MY GOSH, what bullshit. Thousands of words that say almost nothing. 9 out of 9.1 that are completely irrelevant or are nothing more than a wordy description of a worn out "old hat" being called a new something else because the dust on it was made to look different.

With millions of patents filed and almost identical in principle products all over the place, how many ever go to dispute? Almost zero? Then how many disputes are won? Almost zero again.

Another common trick is the "Pat Pend" sticker. Meaning, you did or intend to file for a patent. It doesn't matter if you get one or not, the sticker does the same thing. It's a mental copy deterrence and a bragging vehicle with a sticky backing. If the sticker has a Pat Pend "number", that just means it has been filed, but may sit in a folder for centuries waiting for lawyers to get paid, or may have been rejected. Rejected or not, the number is valid whether or not it's still pending. [If the number wasn't just pulled out of an old hat ] If it was filed with a lawyer, or a cousin, or the family dog...it was filed. If it hasn't been granted, it's pending.

[Brag] We have a patent and we have a product.
Never mind that the patent has nothing to do with the product or that we don't say *what* patent so you can find that out.

I intend to patent the wheel.  I'm pretty sure that cave men didn't.
Be looking for my sticker.
Next, the stick.

Maybe the Ion [oops, Saturn did that already? ]
Copyrights....a whole 'nother story.

Ode