You people are bringing back old memories.
> I am ever grateful for the typing class I had back in middle school!

  I had a typing class also but did not master it.

> Sitting in a room with 50 kids at 50 huge old, clunky electric
> typewriters for an hour every morning for 4 or 5 months did the trick! Oh the noise!! <LOL>

  No ear plugs ?

  I serviced typewriters for several years for IBM.

I could do a "Strike UP" so fast that people came from other rooms to see who was typing so fast.

  Doing a strike up was something we did to test the machine.
One used the right hand and 4 fingers from one end of the keyboard to the other, then followed with one finger from the left, moving across the keyboard as fast as possible.

Awesome and the sound was that of someone typing 400 or 500 words per minute.

Several years back, I communicated with a person ( male ) that was a military typist.

He said he could go for weeks and months and never make a mistake. I don't remember his rate, seems it was 600 or 700 words per minute.

He said at all hours of the night helicopters would land by his tent.
Some officer wanted a letter typed. So ........ he started getting dressed.

Job Security I guess, ......... but the big advantage was he could
eat at the Officers Mess Hall.

Being an MP I could eat there at times.

Wayne

**** Well -- you're defining the era of your education, Mike. When *I* was in typing class, there was a class of 50 or so kids sitting at 50 old MANUAL typewriters!! Electric typewriters hadn't been invented yet. You cannot imagine the noise level! LOL
MA