I think that using stainless steel for a cathode in larger setups to save money is ill advised. The way to save money is to reverse the current every minute, with two silver electrodes. If you do that 90% of the plateout will get used to make CS, instead of plating out on the stainless steel.

Marshall

Bruce Anderson wrote:
Hi Carol Ann
Now that my brain fog has been lifted by Ode, maybe I can answer that.
Using a stainless steel rod for the cathode an idea I got from "Ole Bob" (now deseased). It acts as anelectron emitter only and contributes nothing else to the EIS. In setups that use large silver annodes this saves the cost of using silver cathodes. You can't use it if you use polarity switching and it would make little difference if you are only using 6"-8' electrodes.
Bruce A

Carol Ann wrote:

For clarification to this novice, why would one be using stainless steel and silver trodes together. What are they making?


*/Ode Coyote <[email protected]>/* wrote:



According to a simple little electroplating diagram I keep handy, the
    silver goes on the + side.
    Electrons may head from minus to plus, but the silver is *losing *
    electrons to become ions.

    Ode




--
The Silver List is a moderated forum for discussing Colloidal Silver.

Instructions for unsubscribing are posted at: http://silverlist.org

To post, address your message to: [email protected]

Address Off-Topic messages to: [email protected]

The Silver List and Off Topic List archives are currently down...

List maintainer: Mike Devour <[email protected]>