Dear Neville,

You wrote:

"Looking at the reports on silver-colloids.com it appears that the  products
that are classified as 'colloidal' have quite low ionic
silver levels. I assume these are the products most likely to be high
voltage but I could be wrong."

High Voltage DC or High Voltage AC is not the reason for the "classified as
'colloidal' have quite low ionic silver levels." It may have more to do with
"high voltage" sales tactics.

Products classified as Colloidal deal with particle size range and how the
particles are held in this system.

A Colloid is in essence a type of mechanical mixture where one substance is
dispersed evenly throughout another. It is not a solution. The particle size is
between one nanometer (1/1000 of a micron) and 1 micron.  Fog, Smoke, Red
Stained Glass, Milk, and Paint for example are Colloids. Because of this
dispersal, some colloids have the appearance of solutions.  A hydrosol is a
colloid with water as the dispersing medium.

The website www.silver-colloids.com which appears to be an information site is
in fact owned by a commercial colloidal silver manufacturer and seller. His
retail site links extensively to this website to back up his claims that EICS
is not Colloidal Silver.

Here is my opinion:

The main purpose of silver-colloids.com is to slam EICS (Commercially available
EICS) and Colloidal Silver Generators to sell his bottle colloidal silver
product.

The website makes some provacative statements:

"If the product is clear, then it is ionic silver, not a true silver colloid,"

(The late Professor Ronald J. Gibbs, of the Center for Colloidal Science at the
University of Delaware in his book,Silver Colloids, Do They Work?, wrote, "The
highest quality Colloidal Silver is colorless." If a yellow color is present in
the product it is probably indicating that some other unwanted substance is
present causing the color, or that the particles are too large, either way
indicating the colloidal silver product is not acceptable nor is the highest
quality.)

and elsewhere on this website:

"We do not provide advice on making colloidal silver at home. Many companies
sell colloidal silver generators and dozens of web sites provide information
for experimenters and home hobbyists. All the machines sold for making
colloidal silver use an electrolysis process and make ionic silver. There are
no machines sold that are capable of making true colloidal silver."

Harvard University Physics department considers Electrically produced Silver
Ions as Colloidal Silver.

I found this bit of information at the Harvard Physics Website in connection
with a lesson.  Although I did not have permission to access their homepage on
the Colloidal Silver Generator (and its construction), please note below:

from
http://www.physics.harvard.edu/~wilson/arsenic/remediation/Silver%20Ceramic/CS.htm

"The present success of the CS (Colloidal Silver) generator is largely
attributable to the high quality of the new electrical unit, which converts
240AC to 24DC.  What is indicated here is a simple cost analysis of producing
this kind of CS.

The concentrated CS generator shown on the home page is currently utilizing two
flasks, of 2.4 liters each.  However additional flasks can be wired into the
system, up to eight in all.  Given that each flask contains about 500 ppm of
CS, this will saturate sixteen candles.  So, 8 flasks x 16 candles per flask =
128 candles, the daily production of concentrated CS.

Several people have asked whether the flask size can be increased, so as to get
bigger volumes of CS, and in my view this may be tricky.  For example, if the
flask size is doubled then the wet surface area of electrodes must be
increased, quite clearly.  And the DC voltage would also need to be increased.
But at what DC voltage would the system require safety apparatus?  While we
feel confident that the 24 volts DC for the generator is perfectly safe, at
additional voltage would tend toward an unsafe system.  Would a 4.8 liter flask
require double the voltage, something like 48 volts DC?  And would this require
the enclosure of the leads to the circuit, so as to avoid a shock to the
operator?

Post Script of 23 April:  If the producers are purchasing the concentrated
colloidal silver, for saturation of their filters, then this should be
carefully sourced.  It may be considered best to know the form of the silver,
resulting within the filter, in case further studies on these are at some point
considered desireable.  In general, however, silver is considered to be among
the most benign of substances, no harmful health effects associated."

I guess someone should inform the Harvard Physics department they are not
producing "True Colloidal Silver."

As to www.silver-colloids.com

I won't go into a line by line analysis of the website's "Reign of Error." I
would be typing for days.  (The owner has a background in engineering and
physics at two respect institutions of higher learning.)

This individual denies that an Ion is a particle, atomic or otherwise. He seems
to ignore the accepted definitions used world wide in teaching institutions as
defined by the worldwide authority for Chemistry, Science, and Physics, The
International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry.

The IUPAC Compendium of Chemical Terminology (sometimes called the Gold Book,
recognized as the world's standard and final word on such definitions) does not
share this "definition" for the terms "Ion," "Sol" (as in hydrosol), "Colloids"
or  "Colloidal."

The Gold Book is online at:

http://old.iupac.org/publications/compendium/index.html (if you prefer to look
up the definitions oneself.)

An Ion by definition is a particle.

For Ion, you will find the following:

"ion, An atomic or molecular particle having a net electric charge. Source:PAC,
1982, 54, 1533 (Glossary of terms used in nuclear analytical chemistry
(Provisional)) on page 1545."

(This is a direct quote from The IUPAC Compendium of Chemical Terminology.)

Compare to:

http://www.silvercolloids.com/Papers/definitions.html#silver.ion

(below is an abbreviated quote for space)

"silver ion (Ag+) – An ion of silver is formed when a single electron is
removed from a silver atom causing the ion to have a positive charge. While an
ion possesses ionic charge owing to the missing electron, it is not considered
an atom of silver with a charge."

(Huh?)

"ionic silver - A solution consisting of water and silver ions (dissolved
silver). Contains no silver particles and does not exhibit a Tyndall Effect."

EICS has exhibited Tyndall Effect for all the years I have made and tested for
a Tyndall Effect. I have repeatedly tested on this and other forms of Colloidal
Silver (mild Silver Protein, ect).

Colloids exhibit Tyndall Effects, Solutions, such as water (solvent) and salt
or sugar (solute) do not.

On the www.silver-colloids.com:

"Because colloidal silver is in many ways a very effective health supplement,
it is important to understand what is real and what is bogus. This site is
maintained by XXXX XXXXX who welcomes input and comments from the scientific
community. Mr. XXXX is founder and principal scientist of the Colloidal Science
Laboratory, Inc. where research on gold, silver and other metal colloids is
conducted."

The above neglected to mention ownership of www.purestcolloids.com (an online
seller of Colloidal Silver, and in addition to the ownership Colloidal Science
Laboratory, Inc. used to verify his claims).  A conflict of Interest?

This silver-colloids.com owner used to post the silver list back in 2001, one
can draw one's own conclusions as to his motives then and now.

This individual posted about EICS was useless and not absorbed, causes argyria,
etc. (Using his hypothesis, I should not be able to absorb Copper Ions from my
food and thus have copper-deficiency anemia.)

If you are interested in a "debate" from the old Silver List archives, this is
all that remains online is at:

http://www.gaiaresearch.co.za/silver.html  (a commercial site and competitor to
the above)

(However one should verify these the original posts. I believe this would
require the kindness of Wayne and his personal Silver List archive. I would be
interested in seeing the entire posts, dating from around Sun, 21 Jan 2001
12:28:47, I always compare original sources to online sites.),

For a another's view on metal ions transport into the body, see:

http://www.health2us.com/transport.htm

Either websites make for interesting reading as to the "the silver ion issue"
listed above. Both seem to refute the allegation that Silver Ions do not exist
inside or are absorbed by the body.

Again, my apologies  for the length, Neville and the list.   (My apologies to
Mike D. for the headaches my long posts and email server causes him)

Regards, Steve

PS I found this on Yahoo Education as a sponsored link to, "Colloidal Silver
Facts"

Laboratory analysis reveals the truth about colloidal silver products. Here are
the facts on silver protein, ionic silver, and true silver colloids. Don't be
fooled by the hype. www.silver-colloids.com"