Ode Coyote wrote:

One should look up the actual radioactivity of DU compared to, say, granite. Then compare actual prevalence and concentration in the environment as well as UN-depleted *natural* Uranium.
A brick will light up a Geiger counter pretty well..
It is true that some blocks, cinder blocks for instance, are very radioactive. In the case of cinder blocks it is potassium 40. But the reason DU is hazardous if I recall correctly has nothing to do with radioactivity at all. They are, for most practical purposes not very radioactive. The problem is that uranium is a very toxic heavy metal.

Some buildings are so radioactive that they aren't safe to live in..temporary occupation only.
 Some wells drilled into granite aren't safe to drink from long term.

If you get a whiff of DU vapor or dust, sure that could be a problem down the road, but at the moment, it's the least of your worries as part of your head has probably vaporized with it. DU is VERY heavy and doesn't tend to blow in the wind any better than gold...and vapors condense quite fast.

The only way that I know that uranium could be carried in the wind is if it was in the form of uranium hexafluoride. Although it is in this form for many types of enriching operations, once it has been converted back to the base metal I see no way that would be formed again in the field.

Marshall