John lost a good portion of his land when they put the Parkway in. It cuts across the lower part of this mountain, but progress is progress and the Parkway is a beautiful drive thru the Smokies. We have Black Bears and Deer along with Wild Turkeys across the top . They don't bother us at all. Rarely ever even see them, but the tracks are quite visible. My mothers people were Blackfoot, Grampa was our storyteller. I miss him a lot.

zoe

Donna wrote:
Yes the Smokey Mts. are a beautiful place, when I was a child we would go on family vacations there. I always remembered riding on the Blue Ridge Pkwy and we saw quite a few bears too. We use to visit Cherokee as my family is Cherokee and Dad would tell the stories of our people on those vacations. I use to live in Clarksville which is about 200 miles from the Smokies and found most people very friendly there. If I would of had my way I would still be living down there but other circumstances came up.
Donna ACS

Hardly! No one is supposed to be living in the part designated as Smokey Mt National Forest area, but let me tell you that is only a drop in the bucket to what actually constitutes the Great Smokey Mts. OR another possibility is that whoever they were interviewing told them a big fib, cuz folks around here don't take too kindly to lookey loos and particulary if they be "Damn Yankees" LOL. Don't believe everything you see on TV.

Not a squatter,
zoe

Marshall Dudley wrote:
I just watched the PBS special on the Smokies last night. According to them there are no people living in the Smokies any more. Are you squatting?

Marshall

zoe w wrote:
LOL At the top of a mountain in the Smokey's- 7 miles up a winding and treacherous gravel road from the main road. Only visitors we ever get are LOST and they don't stay long once they see the dogs and the shotguns.

zoe