Hi,
My best guess; you're measuring the conductivity of a weak acid,
ascorbic.  It likes to interact with hydrogen peroxide.  Here's the
story from wiki, and I suspect the silver ion is just getting booted
around becoming an oxide, then an ion, etc.  Dunno; Marshall or Steve
are the chemists, but the reaction between H2O2 and ascorbic stops the
classic free-radical 'Jacob's ladder' of monoatomic oxygen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ascorbic_acid

Take care,
Malcolm

On Fri, 2010-04-16 at 21:09 -0800, poast wrote:
> I have been exercising some EIS over the past few days.
>
> I started out with a solution that had a conductivity of about 15 uS.
>
> I added a very small amount of ascorbic acid.  The solution turned
> amber brown, then went to grey.  However, when I held it up to
> sunlight, it was more amber, but under the kitchen light it was grey.
>
> I then added some H2O2 and didn't think it was going to do anything,
> but the next day the solution was clear, with a good Tyndale effect.
> Conductivity is up to 25 uS.
>
> I then added some more ascorbic acid, and once again ended up with a
> grey solution.
>
> Add more H2O2 and after a while it clears back up.  At this point the
> conductivity of the solution was about 75 uS.
>
> Once again I add some ascorbic acid.  This time there wasn't much of a
> reaction.  I added a little more, and after some time the solution
> turned to a light grey.
>
> Add more H2O2 and after a while it goes clear again.  Conductivity is
> now up to 115 uS.
>
> Added more ascorbic acid and nothing happened.  Added more and finally
> the reaction started.  Let it sit for a few hours, and once again the
> solution is slightly grey.
>
> Add more H2O2 and after a while it goes clear again.  Conductivity is
> up to 185 uS.
>

> Questions...
>
> What is going on?
>
> Have I worn this solution out, or is it still good for something?
>
> Is the increase in conductivity due to the addition of the ascorbic
> acid? Or am I chemically making a higher concentration?
>
> Is this similar to what goes on inside the body?
>
> Is this of any use to anyone?
>
> It was a fun experiment, but I am not sure if it has value.  I have to
> confess that I am having too much fun.
>
> Tom

Archives: