I wonder if I would get such nasty responses if I had suggested to use Reiki.. pretty similar to the kind of spiritual approach Robert suggested.

Not sure what you guys are afraid of but if you are afraid of approaching health and health issues other than via mechanical ways, you're missing something in the healing process.

I for one believe that the mind is part of healing.. if you call that religion and that scares you, not sure who is having the problems here.