Not good procedure.
However, the fluid is just salt water.
Once you have the meter reading right, make a quart of your own using the meter. It doesn't have to be "84 uS", just note what it is, somewhere in the neighborhood. When reading it, make sure everything is at and stays at the SAME temperature. Use a NEW bottle to keep it in to avoid contamination leaching over time and keep it tightly capped.

Ode