Frank may have more info, but i surmise that the "grey beard" is silver hydroxide particles trapped in the surface tension of hydrogen bubbles forming a semi conductive shell which grows another hydrogen bubble to trap more silver hydroxide in.

The black is silver oxide.

If no stirring is used and the current is high enough, you can see a golden mist coming from one electrode [silver oxide] and a white mist [silver hydroxide] with nothing in between [ions]
Where these mists contact the bottom, spots form.

Note that between a white and black spot, a silver mirror often forms
For that to happen, silver ions must be picking up electrons from the surface of the glass. Glass acts like a capacitor and also a poor solar panel that picks up electromagnetic radiation.

Ode