Is this a typo?

"Silver fulminate is Au2C2N2O2"


James Osbourne Holmes
[email protected]


-----Original Message-----
From:   Marshall Dudley [SMTP:[email protected]]
Sent:   Thursday, October 14, 1999 8:21 AM
To:     [email protected]
Subject:        Re: CS>STAINS and H202 use

Fred wrote:

> Blow your stains away!
>
> While browsing some government medical abstracts I found
> that silver and ammonia produce a volitile fulminate (explosive)
> and silver and hydrogen peroxide react violently (no chemical
> formation defined) and produce free silver and soluable silver
> compounds, with flames!

Huh?  I think you need to get another reference. Silver fulminate is Au2C2N2O2.
There is no carbon in silver or ammonia, so it would be impossible to produce
this compound by mixing them.  Also how can free silver mixed with ammonia give 
a
reaction that produces free silver?  That is what you started with.

> This explains why H202 is a good
> cleaner for silver deposits. (The danger is only with larger amounts
> of powdered silver and H202)! I used to make mercury fulminates
> when young, by mixing ammonia and mercurochrome. The
> precipitate was then painted on door knobs and after drying needed
> only to be lightly touched to explode (like a hand full of caps going off).

I am unable to find any references that give the composition of mercurochrome,
but I suspect that it has the carbon in it for the fulminate.

Marshall



--
The silver-list is a moderated forum for discussion of colloidal silver.

To join or quit silver-list or silver-digest send an e-mail message to: 
[email protected]  -or-  [email protected]
with the word subscribe or unsubscribe in the SUBJECT line.

To post, address your message to: [email protected]

List maintainer: Mike Devour <[email protected]>