You can just wipe the rods with a tissue or paper towel.
You'll see the grime/silver on the paper after wiping.
Your rods should always have a whitish or silver color. As the silver is
used the rods become more porous and can look white. If the rods have a
darker color - gray or black, then they are dirty. Always best to just give
them a quick wipe to keep contaminants off of them.

I have had experiences with bad distilled water from the store, and it is
usually very obvious, but can be more subtle. You can get an immediately
cloudy solution, and/or you will find a type of sludge or dirt at the
bottom of your jar after making the silver. That means the water was not
pure.

Victor