To work silver you should know that silver hardens when beaten or worked
under force. The best is heating it with a gasflame till its colour is
lightred (temp.= about 1000 degr.Celcius). When the colour is just that put
the coin in a warm sulfuric acid solution 30% (preferably or nitric acid
solution) to take away the silveroxide layer. Rinse it in water. If you have
some stone material with provides a V-type gutter you may even melt the coin
into a bar.
Then you work it until you feel that by hammering that the resistance
becomes too strong and then you repeat the glowing out process.

To obtain pure silver one could ask a silver-smith which firm supplies his
rough silver material. But here one should keep in mind that silver for
jewellry etc. cannot be used because of its >6%  other metals mainly nickel,
added for hardening. But the supplier of gold and silver to the silversmiths
has the pure materials.
RB


 Message -----
From: Tel Tofflemire <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Friday, January 18, 2002 6:59 PM
Subject: Re: CS>source for silver wire


> coin shop is cheaper, and you do not want Jewelery silver with nickle or
> other addittives, ,,do not use sterling silver,,,use 99.99 or higher
purity
> silver.
> the Candan Silver Maple leaf  coin is not made for circulation, (too
solft)
> but it is pure 9999 Silver stamped on it..it is a $5.00 piece..I paid $8
> dollars  each for it at a coin shop, I bought 2 of them and I beat them on
> an anvil and made them larger in size, they work real well, and they are a
> full oz of pure silver & should last for years in makeing CS....If I had
it
> to do over I would only buy one and saw it in 1/2...That would be enough
> surface area to make good cs.  Be careful not to let your alligator clips
> touch the water, they will contamonate it.  I drilled holes in the coins
and
> hammered in silver wire to make good tight connection, &  to extend it
lower
> into the 1/2 jar.  Works but I am still experminting.
> Tel Tofflemire
> Phoenix, AZ
>


--
The silver-list is a moderated forum for discussion of colloidal silver.

To join or quit silver-list or silver-digest send an e-mail message to: 
[email protected]  -or-  [email protected]
with the word subscribe or unsubscribe in the SUBJECT line.

To post, address your message to: [email protected]
Silver-list archive: http://escribe.com/health/thesilverlist/index.html
List maintainer: Mike Devour <[email protected]>