(From "Alternatives" Volume 10, No.14  Dr. David G. Williams)

Question: I've searched all of my back issues of Alternatives and I can't seem to find many suggestions concerning products that can help re-grow hair. I've been taking all the recommended nutritional supplements for hair growth (inositol, zinc, B vitamins, etc.), but without much luck. I'd be willing to try most anything if you think it could work. I even tried the essential oils you wrote about and saw some improvement but obviously could use more. Any suggestions?
J.T.
Orlando, Florida

Answer: Making recommendations of hair-restoration products is about as confusing as walking in a maze. It's not something I feel comfortable about. Although I know there's a huge interest, and I'm always looking for baldness remedies, there haven't been many products I could recommend trying.

The most common form of hair loss, male-pattern baldness, affects over 33 million men in this country alone. A market this large definitely brings out the scam artists hawking all types of products. And, as such, there are some pretty outrageous claims being made for hair restoration products, but very few of the claims are backed up with any viable research. Also, I don't think anyone product would ever work for everyone. There are simply too many variables as to why one loses one's hair. Heredity seems to play a major role.

Keep in mind that most hair loss is hormone-related and very often genetic. (For women with thinning hair, the process is usually not the same. A few women are affected by male-pattern hair loss, but most often it's a generalized thinning that is due to a different hormone pathway.) Enzymes convert the hormone testosterone into another hormone called dihydrotestosterone (DHT). DHT causes the deterioration of your hair follicles, resulting in hair loss. Oftentimes the hair loss can be slowed or stopped by blocking the conversion of testosterone to DHT. DHT has also been implicated in the enlargement of the prostate gland as men get older. It accumulates in the prostate gland and encourages prostate cell growth. Research has shown that men who don't produce DHT don't develop enlarged prostates. Consequently, several products that help prostate conditions may also be of help in reducing hair loss. One of the most popular of these is saw palmetto.

Saw palmetto (Serenoa repens) works by blocking the formation of DHT. Research has shown that, in about 60 percent of the cases, taking 320 milligrams a day of saw palmetto extract can result in hair growth. (J Altern Complement Med 02;(8):143-52)

The same may be true with the herb pygeum (Pygeum africanum). It also blocks the conversion of testosterone to DHT. And while most of the research for this herb has been focused on prostate treatment, it would be reasonable to assume that taking 160 milligrams to 320 milligrams a day of pygeum could also help with hair restoration.

Obviously a good multi-vitamin/mineral should be part of your plan. Studies have shown that low iron levels and even a B12 deficiency can contribute to premature hair loss. And you might want to add a gram (1,000 milligrams) a day of the amino acid lysine. A lack of lysine has also been implicated in the loss of hair.