Dear Dan,

I have seen one of those running. It was about 1 mouse power, and
rotated fairly slowly and steadily, like about 100rpm. there was a bit
of torque but I could easily slow it with finger pressure on the shaft. It
was basically 4 rotating coils and 4 stationary magnets all in a NSNS
orientation. The wheel and frame were of wood and a steel shaft in
bearings.  Had a star shaped brass piece on the end of the shaft
which was one part of the commutator. the other contact had an
adjustable advance/retard mechanism for tuning for no sparking. Not
very impressive power or speed -wise. What was really remarkable
was that the local taxi drivers brought their dead batteries for
recharging. Free. there were about a dozen 12volt batteries on the
floor all connected in parallel.

Tony