##  Well sure.  The questions pertain more towards what happens if the
silver ion 'doesn't' find a hydroxl ion and why, maybe, it's only a strong
tendency rather than a mandate.
 If making stable compounds were an 'absolute mandate', the CS water
probably wouldn't have such a long unstable state.

 If a silver ion can 'associate and orientate' itself with the hydroxl
portion of a 'non' dissociated water molecule without actually making a
compound...that might could prevent a hydroxl ion from finding it to some
degree by hiding it's electron hole to some degree.

  OH is a gas?  Could it just bubble off to some extent, leaving 'some'
silver ions with nowhere to go, leaving them with choice #2. [Loose
association with an occupied OH vs tightly bonded compound with a
previously unoccupied OH]?
 If AgO can be formed, apparently there are some O1 atoms running about
looking for something to do and they might not all do any one given
thing...same for the hydrogen?
Could a Hydroxl ion 'Not' find a silver ion and get together with another
hydrogen atom to turn back into water as 'its' choice #2?

 It's my vauge and maybe erronious understanding that a silver particle can
accumulate a minus charge from the Zeta.  It's probably not quite the same
as an ionic charge, but could that minus zeta be similar enough have a
stabilizing effect and attraction for a plus charged silver ion?
 If some ions are orienting towards an occupied OH in a water molecule and
are also attracting zeta charged metal, I see a sort of potential for a
'charge protected' crystal lattice structure forming around a water
molecule as its nucleus...and another oriented varient using a silver oxide
molecule.

 Silver hydroxide is virtually insoluable in water [listed as
"insoluable"]...one of the few hydroxides that aren't extremely soluable in
water. If it's that insoluable, it doesn't seem likely to concentrate in
solution.
It's also stable enough that you can buy it in powder form.
 That doesn't suggest spontanious conversions to silver oxide to me.

 Another thing that doesn't get mentioned much:
Many of the various deposits found in various places, regardless of color,
will leave a shiny silver smear when wiped onto a surface and there's that
silver slick that sometimes forms on top.  There's definitely some metallic
silver running about.
Ode

At 03:17 PM 1/20/2005 -0500, you wrote:

>Ode Coyote wrote:
>
>> Dissolved Compounds still remain those compounds and don't change into
>> something else when the water is removed.
>>  A free silver ion isn't likely to be very stable and very much wants to
>> share an electron with something.
>
>Solutions by their very nature are always neutral.  If you have an Ag+ ion,
>there has to be a (-) ion to balance it. The two together will define the
>compound.  For freshly made EIS the negative ion is the hydroxyl ion, IE OH-,
>so the silver compound in EIS is actually silver hydroxide.  At higher
>concentrations, silver hydroxide tends to become unstable, and will
>spontaneouly convert to silver oxide.  This could be part of the aging
process
>that occurs when EIS sits, not sure.

>>  Question:
>>  Does it HAVE to "share", or can it's desires be passified as an 'onlooker'
>> or 'groupie', so to speak?
>> Can a free silver ion 'associate' [identify?] itself... around and with...
>> a water molecules opposite valence oxygen componant and become at least
>> 'more' stable  without actually becoming a 'compound' made from out of that
>> water molecule? ...a protective attraction vs an absolute reaction..
>
>A silver ion will tend to attact the OH portion of a water molecule,
producing
>silver hydroxide.  The remaining H will find a matching one, and form H2
which
>may remain dissolved or be outgassed over time.
>

>> Can a cluster of silver atoms that include one or more ions on it's surface
>> to present an ionic 'appearance' to the water molecules also be included in
>> such an attraction?
>
>A cluster of silver atoms do often obtain a charge.  They are not ions per
say
>I don't believe but just a cluster with a charge.  The charge is referred
to as
>the zeta when it is measured. The higher the charge or zeta, the more stable
>the colloidal portion is. If they have no charge, then they will precipitate.
>
>Marshall
>

>> Warning:  Any in depth explanation one way or the other will probably
>> confuse me.
>>  Simple answers?  Yes, no , maybe sometimes?
>>
>> Ode
>>
>> --
>>
>> Address Off-Topic messages to: silver-off-topic-l...@eskimo.com
>> OT Archive: http://escribe.com/health/silverofftopiclist/index.html