I'll be interested in the replies to this, as I am extremely allergic to iodine and have been trying my best to avoid it for more than 20 years. I have been using non-iodized salt for over a decade at least, take no minerals with iodine, take no multivitamins or supplements containing iodine and eat nothing containing any iodine ingredients such as algins, carrageenan, and of course use nothing containing iodine by other names, such as povidone, cros-povidone, betadine, and so on. No seaweeds or green foods containing seaweeds either, no ocean fish, nothing made with iodized salt as far as I can find out what those foods are. I don't eat vegetables or dairy that are high iodine either. My diet is ridiculous.

I am as iodine deficient as I can possibly make myself. I still do not have a goiter. I've been told this means that even with all my efforts, I am NOT avoiding iodine.

Because of my somewhat unique experiment of one, I don't believe it is possible to suffer serious iodine deficiency in the U.S. unless you eat nothing at all, except pure refined white sugar, so far as I can determine, that is the only 100% iodine free food there is.
sol

Lea Ann wrote:

Hello,
I've been using "Real Salt" for about a year now and my mother came to visit and is concerned that we will become iodine deficient. I know that "Real Salt" is good for you because of the minerals. Does anyone know of a good source of iodine aside from using iodised salt?