Ode Coyote wrote:

> Personally, I don't see a thing wrong with flexible plastic pipes.
> They don't tend to break, crack or permanently swell when frozen, erode with
> acidic water, clog with calcium, clank with pressure surges. It costs a pile
> less to buy and install and formulations been changed since the near distant
> past to be chlorine resistant.

I agree that the PCV pipes are a good way to go.  I have never experienced any
detectable outgassing with these pipes. But they will break when they freeze, I
had to replace 6 or 7 of them last winter when a gas line broke and the heat in
the pump house went out
without me knowing it.

> If you spring for teflon, that's about as inert and tough as it gets...but
> pricy. [Maybe not more after installation labor than copper. Copper is a LOT
> of 'work']

How the heck do you work with teflon, nothing will adhear to it, and it won't
melt.

> And too much copper can be a health problem. [Fairly rare that it IS a
> problem, but if you're getting blue stains in the sink, guess where your
> pipes are going.]

Acid water can sure do a number on copper.  If one is getting that, it would be
wise to pur an alkalanizing filter on it.

> If you're going with silver liner to protect 'you' somehow, by consuming
> silver, it might kill your septic tank and the silver won't last in the
> pipes. So, eventually back to plain copper... along with a dead tank.

The silver should be inert.  Not much is going to react with it, but it could
kill bacteria on contact, and prevent any bacteria growth inside the pipes. I
would not expect any of it to react or dissolve unless the water is very acidic.

Marshall