Using my "Rule of Thumb for CS Calculations" we know that you can get about a maximum of 17ppm of silver in 1 cup of water at 1ma for 1 hour.

That is, 17ppm max in an hour (under these conditions). I assume that there is sufficient conduction to reach saturation at 1ma immediately.

17ppm divided by 60minutes = .28ppm per minute (approximately)

.28ppm per minute times 3 minutes = .84ppm  (approx)

.28ppm per minute times 5 minutes = 1.4ppm  (approx)

This amount of silver does not seem excessive. In fact, it is surprising that such a small an amount is so effective.

I have been thinking about an "Emergency CS Maker" for use in... emergencies, of course. Such as the Tsunami disaster. Such as the Katrina hurricane disaster. Such as the Kashmiri earthquake disaster. The Katrina and Tsunami "emergency" is pretty much over by now, a CS maker would still be useful but it might have been a life saver immediately after the crisis. In Kashmir the disaster is going to keep on going and going; many will die over the winter.

I envision something extremely simple and used in a manner such as that described by Tony. The device would be hand held, something to snap a 9V battery into and two leads, one silver and one copper. If two dissimilar metals are to be used, the silver wire should be permanently connected to the positive pole of the battery (not removable).

If no current limiting is used the device could be used by immersing the electrodes in a cup or glass of water and stirring for about a minute. Perhaps some testing would show what is a practical time for a range of water types. Remember, this would be emergency use.

(If current limiting is desired, perhaps resistor limiting would be practical. Again, some real world testing may show a practical range of use...)

I have found a 9V battery connector at Digikey P/N 968K-ND listed at $.445 per connector. Look it up on <www.Digikey.com>. picture at:

http://rocky.digikey.com/WebLib/Keystone%20Electronics/Web%20Photos/968.jpg

This connector has a post coming out the back of each connection. The wires could be soldered on using a non-lead plumbing solder and the joint covered with a length of shrink tubing, the kind that has waterproofing goop on the inside. For cheapest cost, use 14 gage wires.

The problem would really be getting them to people and then getting them to understand how to use them...

Dan