One thing to avoid like the plague are the "services" that capture all
your e-mail and send a "validation" message back to the sender that
requires them to respond, proving that there's a real person on the
other end of the e-mail address, before letting a message through to
the user.

I generally won't respond to those, personally, and they're a nightmare
for mailing lists. Every person who posts to the list ends up getting a
validation message from each list member using such a service. The
first one of those I see in my mailbox, that member is suspended until
they've proven to me that they've whitelisted the list properly.

Haven't seen one in a while. Maybe they're getting less popular.

Be well,

Mike D.