It seems definitely the "what" here, as well as the concentration, Ode mentioned to me once that if I can get away with single distilling when the river is very high, whatever the contaminant is must be in lower concentration in the town water at those times.

In my reply to Ole Bob, I should have also given thanks and credit to Ode, who told me from the beginning that my CS probs were due to the water, but kept answering questions and helping me also sort through everything else it could have been, until I finally came to the same conclusion. Thanks Ode!

I think one reason commercial distilled water didn't work for me is that it probably comes from the same river water that is my town's water source. There aren't many other water sources in this area, and indeed local river water is sold to the next town east where the Coca Cola bottling plant is (perhaps the bottler of several brands of locally sold distilled waters?). Some of the water from the river is also sold to California. It can really be difficult to determine where one's tap water is coming from these days.
sol

Ode Coyote wrote:

What is in trouble is the "what" part of the contaminants, more so than the how much. I would imagine that something like sulphur dioxide in the air would dissolve into water and really mess things up at pretty low concentrations, whereas calcium salts may not, at twice the concentration. Sol uses 'a few' of the same generators that others can make good CS with, starting with 5+ uS water.

Ode