> Why are we so concerned about ozone in the environment
> and yet people are making it with home machines?

Ozone as a component of photochemical smog, produces the irritation
that everybody talks about as it combines with the raunchy soup of
chemicals in the air to produce who knows what.

If I remember correctly, when ozone is made by a plasma in room air the
water vapor in the air combines with the nitrogen to produce traces of
nitric acid vapor, which also causes irritation. Air purifiers that are
designed to generate ozone need to limit the amount they produce to
safe levels for this reason.

Ozone made with pure dry oxygen in a medical ozone generator, is safe
and very useful, so I hear, if you know what you're doing with it.

It's a subject that is well worth studying in greater depth. The
negative generalities you get from the "authorities" either ignore or
purposely mis-state the conditions that cause irritation.

Be well,

Mike D.