  From: Staya Udanvti Bob Butler
  To: silver-list@eskimo.com
  Sent: Friday, October 06, 2006 10:32 AM
  Subject: Re: CS>So many stomach complaints

  Hi Lea Ann!

  Of course I rinse the head off before cutting it to fit in the food
processor.
  I do not chop it very long so the shredded pieces are larger,  ~quarter size.
  I pour the small amount of liquid from the chopper into the jug along with
the mash also.
  I pour from a Wal-Mart gallon of distilled water into the 1/2 full of mash
sun tea jug until it almost reaches the top, 1/2" or so down..
  I put the open air cap lid on and bind cheese cloth over the opening and
store at room temp of about 70ºF.
  When it is fermented and after removing the hard stuff I do add a tablespoon
of sea salt or canning salt for flavoring.
  Do not use table salt here either as the additives will kill the mixture.

  If you slice the cabbage into 1/8" thick slices and leave the fermentation
for about a month you will have the best sauerkraut ever.
  A large head of cabbage will make  five gallons of sauerkraut.

  Love
  Bob
  Adageyudi
  Staya Udanvti